Sunday 21 July 2013

Continued Doll Development...

It really is coming to be now in waves how much development doll style takes. To put it quite simply my dolls have always had a rather slender, spindly quality to them. For the swap to ball jointed dolls this needed to be padded out to house the joints. 

Yesterday was a very frustrated and very unproductive day for me, consisting of sanding doll necks, painting and re-painting the same set of eyes and a lot of work avoidance tactics and it put me in one hell of a mood. I knew that something was wrong, that dolls are my passion, it should be easy and fun, so why did it feel like a brick wall.

Today the realisation has come, now I am returning to passive jointed dolls I can return to my old doll style, more slender, more exaggerated. 

Also my faces need to hold a hell of a lot more personality. 

This shouldn't be too hard as I've had a huge delivery of fast cure rubber which means I can get these new designs done surprisingly fast. 

It all makes sense when you look at my doll idea sketches....


I understand that this must be pretty annoying for anyone watching my doll making with the intent to buy, I have been developing them for far too long now, and at times I have given the impression I am all but ready to launch. And I myself have felt the same peaks of excitement, only for the bubble to burst with a realisation something is wrong. 

I have had in my mind, for a very long time, a world, hazy in paces and crystaline in others. I can see thousands of characters, again some in vivid detail and others only a feeling in the corner of my mind. I only want to fully open those doors and invite people in when I feel my dolls are actually a representation of this world, only when I feel these characters are laying in resin on my work top will I feel happy. 

Believe me, I can do a lot in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment